Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week 24: Coming in Second Place (Sept 12-18)

This week, was my first sailboat race, start to finish. I had tried to race earlier in the year, but the sail tore and we had to drop out. I was very excited to be on the second place boat out of 6 total boats. The sailing was slow and the winds were near dead, but we managed to pull it together and get across the finish line. In addition to just being on the boat, I had an active role in helping to pull and tighten lines and did more than I have ever done before to help out.

I was also given the honor of being at the helm and steering the boat for a little while. It made me realize how sensitive the boat is. The slightest little movement of the helm resulted in big movements of the boat. I can't wait for the next race!

No comments: