Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week 23: Going Overboard (Sept 5-11)

I have been back on Kwaj for about a month and am looking back realizing how much I have overindulged since returning. I normally pride myself of maintaining a sense of composure and control, but with the ups and downs of the last month I have allowed myself to imbibe more than I would normally allow and even drinking on school nights. Well Saturday of this week there was a band at the Vet's Hall, one of two bars on island, and I ended up there with a crowd of friends. Throughout the evening they slowly trickled away, but I stayed on and hung out with the parents of several students. We danced, we drank, I even got a proposal from a Coast Guard fella just passing through. I was ready to go and then someone suggested that we head to the Snake Pit (the other bar on island). The night ended with me and 5 elementary school parents with a round of drinks and shots in front of us. I could only hang with them until about 2am and then ended up leaving them all still at the bar drinking away.

The next day I spent a fair amount of time pondering this scenario and how it would likely never happen anywhere else the world. I think back and can't picture myself in a Fort Collins bar with parents and drinks abounding. I think that is one of the reasons I LOVE life out here; it all overlaps and I have some of the strongest teacher-parent relationships because I am also friends with them.

I will say that the weekend led to a decision to go dry for 30 days. My friend KC and I have challenged each other to not drink for 30 days. I will keep you posted on my progress!

No comments: