Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Week 32: Hoards of Glass (November 14-20)

Over the past two years I have amassed a collection of beach glass in all colors, shapes and sizes. It has been sitting on the shelf in pretty clear containers just collecting dust and I have always wanted to do something with it, but just wasn't sure what to do. Well, a couple weeks ago there was a Craft Fair here on island and I fell in love with a couple pieces of framed artwork that were created from beach glass and pottery. I inquired about purchasing one, only to find out that it wasn't for sale. Even though I am a little lacking in my creative abilities, I decided that I could make my own version of it. For the last week I have had glass spread out on my coffee table being sorted and manipulated. After several sessions of changing pieces in and out and deciding what looked best, I was happy. Over the weekend I put together 4.5 framed pieces of artwork (one needs some more glass to finish).

In Kwaj style, there are no shadowboxes around so I purchased some inexpensive picture frames at the PX and made my own shadowboxes with duct tape(silver since there is no black to be found!) to hold everything together. I will be sending these to family as Christmas Gifts and I hope that they understand that I have limited resources and did the best I could:)

The first finished piece. It will be going to my parents.

My second piece, it will be going to my brother and sis-in-law. I had fun with this one and FS was great as he helped me find the best pieces with just the right color.
This will be going to my other bro and sis-in-law.

I was just playing with glass (maybe my new favorite evening activity) and this just sort of appeared in the pieces. It will be going to FS this weekend as a Thanksgiving gift.

This is a work in progress. All the rest are 5x7 and this one is 8x10. It needs more glass and will hang on my wall when complete.

My duct tape shadowboxes. Not the prettiest back, but it works!
I am excited to go to Roi this weekend and get my beach glass hunt on! Hopefully there will be lots of glass to be had and great memories with friends.

No comments: