Monday, June 21, 2010

Week 10: Sun up/Sun Down and Dodging the Bullet (June 13-19)

Lucky me, I have 2 new experiences for this week:

1) On Sunday the 13th, I was staying on Roi for the weekend, woke up early(I do that when I am in strange beds) and decided to go for a run and watch the sunrise. A truth about me: I can never get enough of the sun on the horizon and the colors that it paints across the sky. Everytime I see the sunrise, I can't help but feel blessed by the newness of the day and joy that is to come. The same evening, I hadn't planned to watch the sunset, but I saw a friend after dinner and he enouraged myself (and K) to watch the sunset because the night before there had been dolphins. Well there were no dolphins, but I was witness to another amazing spectacle and the sun rays turned the sky from blue to orange to purple-pink. I am DEFINITELY a sucker for sunrises and sunsets; I feel as though I am hypnotized by the orange ball in the distance and can't avert my gaze(not that I would want to anyways).

2) I have always wondered what it would be like to shoot a gun, thought I had never shot one before in my life (short of water guns and nerf dart guns). So when the opportunity arose to go to the ABQ shooting range I jumped on it. I went with a family friend and he brought along quite the aresnal for me inaguaral shooting experience: rifles, semiautomatic assualt rifles, and pistols. I think I flinched more in the couple hours we were there then I have in a long time. I got ok at shooting one of the rifles and the pistols scared me to death; I am pretty sure I closed my eyes everytime I shot one. I don't think I will ever need to own a gun, but I am glad that I had the experience of shooting and getting over the initial fears about it. On thought I couldn't shake as I was pulling the trigger is the projectile coming out the barrel could take a life and I hope that I am never confronted with a situation that I would need to use a gun or point one at a person(or have one pointed at me!).

No comments: