Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Superhero Bean Bags



I was invited to a first birthday party for a sweet little boy, Baby Jack! His parents, a few friends and I recently had a Super Hero Night where we all wore our Super Hero shirts to dinner and bowling.
Super Hero Night
I used this night as the inspiration when deciding what to make for Baby Jack. I came across these while searching for baby boy gifts and knew I had to make something along these lines. She made them as hand warmers and I wanted mine to be bean bag like and durable enough for a toddler.
Superhero Hand Warmers from Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy!
I cut all the pieces out all the pieces using a mixed nuts can for the circles and free-cut most of the designs. I did use images of the Superman logo and Batman that I printed off the internet and sized down. I used my machine to sew a web of black thread on the background of Spiderman's face.

I hand sewed all the embellishments on using a small blanket stitch around the edges. This was the most time consuming aspect of this project.


One the tops were all hand sewn, I sewed the front and back together, right sides together and turned them out and they were ready to be filled.
Since these were for a little guy, I opted to put my filler inside a small segment of panty hoses (I used lentils since I had them in my pantry!). Putting the filler in the nylon will help prevent spillage and makes it SO much easier to sew the opening up.

Finally, I sewed up the opening and gifted them on Jack.
The finished bean bags
They were a hit! He loved them,



No comments: