Saturday, September 17, 2011

Waterproof iPad Case

My favorite purchase of the summer was my iPad with pink smart cover. I use it daily to keep my schedule, record grades, and even play a few games. Once the school year started, I realized that putting it directly in my work bag wasn't the best idea and I ran the risk of it getting soaked if it was pouring on my bike ride to work. A waterproof case was in order, but living on an island in the middle of nowhere leaves few options for sewing materials.

I had some ugly blue oil cloth, but wasn't thrilled about the idea of carrying a case made from it around every day. I went through my stash and found a great piece of decorate weight fabric that I bought 2 years ago in Tokyo and knew that I would be perfect. I thought about ironing with a waterproofing layer, but remembered I had saved the plastic zippered pouches my new pillows came in. I just started cutting, sewing and ended up quilting the decorate weight fabric then covered it with the cut up clear plastic from the zippered pouches. I didn't really have a plan in mind, but it all came together. The back isn't the prettiest thing, but I learned a couple things to avoid that in the future. Also for the closure, I thought about velcro, but attaching it to the plastic was proving to be a challenge, so I used a new no-slip head band that I cut down to size and sewed on. I love my iPad case because it is not only functional, but I love the look of the fabric that I used.



No comments: